Monday, April 23, 2018


A Poem a Sunday
Easter V – B
April 29, 2018


John 15:1-8 - NRSV

Jesus the True Vine

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. 2 He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes[a] to make it bear more fruit. 3 You have already been cleansed[b]by the word that I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. 6 Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. 7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become[c] my disciples.
Footnotes:
  1. John 15:2 The same Greek root refers to pruning and cleansing
  2. John 15:3 The same Greek root refers to pruning and cleansing
  3. John 15:8 Or be
A Poem a Sunday
Easter V - B

Abiding

Infant birds in their nests.
Seeds deep in the ground.
A newborn at its mother’s breast.
The lost when it is found.

Lovers in a first embrace.
Walking hand-in-hand.
A father’s contented face.
Bare feet in the sand.

A fireplace warming the room.
Black bears in a cave.
Mealtime as we’ve grown.
Surrounded by sun rays.

Vines that gently intertwine.
Branches reaching out.
Arms encircling like twine.
A soft rain after drought.

Wine poured in a chalice.
Bread spread out with grace.
Words of promise that last.
We glimpse a Divine face.

Copyright @2018 by Kenn Storck
May be used with permission
kennstorck@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment