Monday, April 30, 2018


A Poem a Sunday
Easter VI - B
May 6, 2018


Saint John 15:9-17 - NRSV

9 As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. 10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. 11 I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

12 “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 I do not call you servants[a] any longer, because the servant[b] does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. 16 You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. 17 I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

Footnotes:
[a] John 15:15 Gk slaves
[b] John 15:15 Gk slave

All the Wrong Places
(A Gospel riddle)

…in simply being called by name
with silver drops that make a claim
and then embraced for no reason
while voices soothe in every season.

And struck by its presence
when a prodigal runs to who knows where
and there eyes open and with tears
formed by it for the coming years.

And so you begin to see
the ‘Other’
as full of worth,
as sister, brother.

For it takes hold
in forgotten places
no longer a command
but in your spaces.

So, be attentive.
Look about.
It grows through fissures
blooming out.

And artists and saints
attend its awakening
in all the wrong places
where hearts are aching.

Copyright @2018 by Kenn Storck
May be used with permission

A Poem a Sunday
pastorkennsstudy.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment