Saturday, September 24, 2022

Prophet’s Lament 

The Word

Tune:  Deo Gracias

Meter: LM



         “If I say, ‘I will not mention him, or speak any more his name,’

         then within me there is something like a burning fire

         shut up in my bones; I am weary with holding it in,

         and I cannot.” Jeremiah 20:9

+

         1. What difference will these words I shout

         To beat against your eardrums make?

         Low tones or challenges flung out -

         Will they speak new life into play?

 

         2. The Word now bottled up in words

         So blocked and filtered, checked, and staid;

         Will seep like dew in soil, unheard,

         And deep fall into souls today.

 

         3. There are no words without the Word

         All speech is muted, ears are deaf.

         But when God speaks a voice is heard

         And life is new the Word is flesh.

 

         4. Dare we be silent or give speech?

         My bones are wax, my heart burns full.

         I cannot help but pray and preach

         The truth no matter what I do.

 

         5. Flung out on eardrums far and wide,

         These words will vibrate through the air.

         Will they *ex nihilo create:

         Flesh out God’s love now incarnate?

 

         *ex nihilo – Latin, meaning – ‘out of nothing’

 +

Hymn with this tune –  Evangelical Lutheran Worship

# 422 - “O Love, How Deep”

 +

Text:  Copyright @2020 

by Rev. Kenn Storck & Rev. Angela Renecker

May be used with permission

kennstorck@gmail.com

 


No comments:

Post a Comment