Tuesday, June 20, 2017


A Poem a Sunday

Pentecost 3 – A

June 25, 2017

Matthew 10:24-39 - NRSV

24 “A disciple is not above the teacher, nor a slave above the master; 25 it is enough for the disciple to be like the teacher, and the slave like the master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebul, how much more will they malign those of his household!

Whom to Fear
26 “So have no fear of them; for nothing is covered up that will not be uncovered, and nothing secret that will not become known. 27 What I say to you in the dark, tell in the light; and what you hear whispered, proclaim from the housetops. 28 Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.[a] 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 And even the hairs of your head are all counted. 31 So do not be afraid; you are of more value than many sparrows.
32 “Everyone therefore who acknowledges me before others, I also will acknowledge before my Father in heaven; 33 but whoever denies me before others, I also will deny before my Father in heaven.

Not Peace, but a Sword
34 “Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father,
and a daughter against her mother,
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
36 and one’s foes will be members of one’s own household.
37 Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; 38 and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.

Footnotes:
Matthew 10:28 Gk Gehenna

A Poem a Sunday
Pentecost 3 - A

The Price

There is no cross upon the wall
of the First Assembly hall
where praises ring and guitars swing
with jubilant hands raised.

There is a cross but there is no cost
from the pulpit at First Lutheran.
The padded pews, the yellow hues
stream through the stained glass windows.

Out on the street, the people meet
the faces of homeless wanderers.
Rush to parked cars avoiding scars
of those who are lost and wounded.

The convenient way takes the major sway
in lives protected and sound.
Gaining life, yet losing life;
not standing on holy ground.

Yet the Prophet speaks calling all who seek
to walk the cruciform way.
Discover life while losing life
that brings a brand new day.

May be used with permission:
Copyright @ A Poem a Sunday

Contact:  kennstorck@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment