Friday, May 10, 2019


GPS
Mother’s Day
May 12, 2019


On this Mother’s Day we speak of God as Mother.  In the Hebrew Scriptures (Old Testament), God is likened to a comforting mother.  Isaiah speaks of God as a compassionate mother as Israel is exiled in Babylon and away from home.

Isaiah 49:13-15 
13 Sing for joy, O heavens, and exult, O earth;
    break forth, O mountains, into singing!
For the Lord has comforted his people,
    and will have compassion on his suffering ones.
14 But Zion said, “The Lord has forsaken me,
    my Lord has forgotten me.”
15 Can a woman forget her nursing child,
    or show no compassion for the child of her womb?
Even these may forget,
    yet I will not forget you.

Isaiah 66:12-13 
12 For thus says the Lord:
I will extend prosperity to her like a river,
   and the wealth of the nations like an overflowing stream;
and you shall nurse and be carried on her arm,
    and dandled on her knees.
13 As a mother comforts her child,
    so I will comfort you;
    you shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

The Prophet, Hosea:
1 When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.
2 The more I called them, the more they went from me;
they kept sacrificing to the Baals, and offering incense to idols.
3 Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
I took them up in my arms;
but they did not know that I healed them.
4 I led them with cords of human kindness, with bands of love.
I was to them like those who lift infants to their cheeks.
I bent down to them and fed them.
[Hosea 11:1-4]

Jesus pictured himself as a mother hen:


The Lament over Jerusalem
37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 38 See, your house is left to you, desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’”  [Matt 23:37-39]

Luke 13:34-35: 34 Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing! 35 See, your house is left to you. And I tell you, you will not see me until the time comes when you say, ‘Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.’”

The Greek (ornis) is expressed as feminine, underlining that this is a mother hen.

Names for God:  According to one source:  www.Christian+answers.net there are 953 names for God in Holy Scripture – including such names as ‘He who made the heavens.’  That is a bit of a stretch, but the point is that God is referred to in a myriad of ways.

Male domination in the Bible and Western culture has led to the oppression of women and smothered the diversity of the ways we picture and think of God.  In the ministry of Christ and the early Church women took a prominent role.  Mary, Salome, Mary Magdalene, Mary and Martha of Bethany, Dorcas, Lydia and other unnamed women were leaders in the Church.  Yet, their prominence was pushed aside as the church caved into cultural norms of male dominance.  The church lost its early radical diversity of treating slaves, women, and children with equal dignity.  That all became lost in a hierarchical structure of male dominance.  

This loss has begun to be recaptured as female pastors and theologians unmask the male dominance and enter into the Bible and history of the Church from a feminine perspective.  

In regards to naming God:  God is really unknowable and unnamable. 

However, for Christians, Jesus is the decisive revelation of what a life full of God looks like.  But the mystery of the fullness of God remains.  But as a result of male dominated hierarchical systems – naming God became more male than expansive often censoring feminine perspectives.

So how do we speak of God – in metaphors and poetry, in art and liturgy we hold up signs that point to God.  Names of God are always metaphors because God is not just another being – God is beyond being.  God did become personal and accessible in Jesus Christ.  But God is accessible in everything that surrounds us.  In God we live and move and have our being.  God is not up there in the heavens – God is in, with, under all of creation.  God is in every atom and molecule.  We swim in the ocean of God.

God revealed to Moses at the burning bush the mysterious untranslatable name Yahweh – best discerned as “I AM that I AM.” 

So when we use the metaphor of Mother to refer to God we are definitely in line with the more expansive Biblical witness and the mystics and poets of our faith.

Who is Julian of Norwich and why mention a quote from her on Mother’s Day? 

Julian of Norwich. Julian of Norwich, also called Juliana, was born 1342, in Norwich or Norfolk, Eng.—died around 1416.  She is a celebrated mystic-ascetic or (hermit).  She wrote ‘Revelations of Divine Love’ (or Showings).  Her writings are generally considered one of the most remarkable documents of medieval religious experience.  She, along with Hildegard of Bingen, among others continued the tradition of referring to God as Mother.



God is not a being.  God has no gender.  Referring to God as ‘Mother’ is just as legitimate as referring to God as Father.  When we think of God as mother – we can have a very personal and intimate reference in our own lives.   Mothers nurture us.  Mothers love us. 

Many of us have had caring, loving, mothers.  For some who have had negative experiences of mother – other names for God may be more comforting.  You may have had other people in your lives – aunts or older cousins or siblings that mothered you.  I imagine most of us have been mothered by someone.

God as mother – a love story.  (Just a note:  Mother has the word ‘other’ in it.  The nature of mothering is to be there for others).

I remember how my mother cared for me:  I remember the growing pains, literal growing pains when as a child my legs would ach at night and she’d come in and rub them. 

Food and meals brought our family together every day and every night we had fantastic meals and desserts.  Dorothy made the best home-made coffee cake.  I’d bring it for lunch at high school and one of my teachers once asked for a piece.  At Christmas there was special stolen and to this day it brings so many fond memories back. 

Dorothy was a leader and helped form a Mother’s Club at Messiah Lutheran Church.  She took the lead later on in life when in retirement she led water exercises at the club pool at Terra DuLac – a home association south of St. Louis.

Her embrace and acceptance of me even in my worst moments instilled in me the seeds of compassion.  And believe me, I was not the best child –often strong willed and worrisome.  My parents, despite the difficult and hard times I gave them were proud of me and supported me in my many struggles, self-doubt and stubbornness.

How we are mothered shapes our view of the Divine.  In a sense, subtly, or not so subtly, our mothers give us a window into God.

Christian Reformed Campus Minister (@York University in Toronto CA), Shiao Chong, writes:

“Mother’s Day is as appropriate as any occasion to recapture the biblical maternal images for God to help us see further truths about God. ‘People described God in feminine terms, not because God is actually a woman, but because feminine or maternal traits say something true about God and about their experience with God.’ (Japinga, Feminism and Christianity, p. 66) The same must be said of masculine and paternal images for God. We must not confuse these metaphors with God’s reality.” 

The church is a community of faith.  Christian faith is a ‘we’ faith, not a ‘me’ faith.  We do not get to know God in some solitary me/God relationship, but through interaction God’s good creation and with one another – our mothers – our sisters and brothers in Christ – in those relationships we can come to know God.

"A little boy reached that terrifying time of day when his mother would turn out the lights in his room and leave him for the night. Afraid of the dark and of being by himself he cried out for his mother to stay. Being a woman of faith, she reassured her son that God would be with him through the night. 'But, Mama,' he cried, 'I need God with skin on!' "

As you celebrate Mother’s Day – I give you two gifts to take home with you.  They are on the insert.  One is the *New Zealand Lord’s Prayer which we will use during our prayers and the second is the words of a Hymn by Jean Janzen. 

Mothering God, You Gave Me Birth

Mothering God, you gave me birth
In the bright morning of this world.
Creator, source of every breath,
You are my rain, my wind, my sun.
You are my rain, my wind, my sun.

Mothering Christ, you took my form,
Offering me your food of light,
Grain of life, and grape of love,
Your very body for my peace;
Your very body for my peace.

Mothering Spirit, nurturing one,
In arms of patience hold me close,
So that in faith I root and grow
Until I flower, until I know;
Until I flower, until I know.

(Words: Jean Janzen; Music: John Bell, Janet Peachey
Hymns of Glory Songs of Praise; Wild Goose Resource Group, The Iona Community)

Amen

May be used with permission.
kennstorck@gmail.com

*A version of The Lord’s Prayer

from The New Zealand Book of Common Prayer

Eternal Spirit,
Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom
sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and testing, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love,
now and forever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment