Monday, May 15, 2017


A Poem a Sunday

Easter VI – A

May 21, 2017

John 14:15-21 - NRSV





The Promise of the Holy Spirit

15 “If you love me, you will keep[a] my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate,[b] to be with you forever. 17 This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in[c] you.

18 “I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. 19 In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. 20 On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.”

Footnotes:
John 14:15 Other ancient authorities read me, keep
John 14:16 Or Helper
John 14:17 Or among

A Poem a Sunday
Easter VI - A

Abide

Messiah Lutheran School, St. Louis, MO
had picnics on the grounds of a Lutheran
run Children's Home (circa mid-1950’s)

The orphanage is empty
that we played in long ago.
School picnics on the grounds
each Spring; rides, swings,
-- children on the go.

Fatherless children
walked those halls
nurtured by women’s
tender care.
No foster homes
but a community
of Lutheran presence
there.

And once a year
we’d play with
those abandoned ones
as though sisters
and brothers
with us all.

The breeze through
the trees push
the vacant swings
and memories
of hugs and love
hang in the
vast cool air.

Never abandoned
always in care
these children
grew to know
though parentless
they all are one
in Christ
who loves us so.

Copyright @ A Poem a Sunday
May be used with permission


No comments:

Post a Comment